Thursday, March 19, 2009

Madera Stage Race





Stage 1..Ben Hur hill climb....32.25, my 19th place finish was a whopping 3;37 off the pace of Ben jacues-Maynes...I guess that's why he was top 15 at the tour of California. The Parlee TT bike chad is letting me use for the year was amazing...a 16lb tt bike with disc wheel....Iit feels like a climbing machine, stiff, responsive, aggressive, and full of energy. only wish my legs did it justice....

Stage 2. a flat 10.3 mile tt.....it was another ride on the parlee and I felt better but still missing the power I usually feel in a tt. we calculated how fast I would have to ride in order to beat last years best time.....27.3 mph, and I beat that at 27.6mph, but with Ben's horse power, a new course record was set and I was left in the dust. 22nd place.

The afternoon crit was a blast....i think I might have attacked a bit to much, launching off the front to debut of the Above Category black and white. I proved my physical strength with the vengeful elegance of a Hyena feasting on the stolen prey of a pride of lions. However my racing IQ needs a bit of work. We were riding for Chris Turner and for the most part we were doing a good job as he conserved for the finale. With 10min to go Turner flatted. I wish my parents taught me to read, cause I still cant figure out what the lap cards say. it is the 2nd crit this year that I crossed the finish line thinking "shit, that was the last lap...." I never heard a bell, or saw the lap cards. This race was a lot of fun, but I raced like with my legs and left my head at home...I'm glad that at least my legs are feeling strong.

Sunday mornings road race rolled out of balmy 48*F barnyard full of cows, racers and a cloud embrocation. It warmed up quickly as we threw ourselves violently off the front of the peloton aiming to get away from the group... I through a bag of daggers at the peloton but came missed everyone eventualy setting Turner up as he walked right into the perfect escape group. They stayed about "2:30 up the road and the rest of us chilled.....Webcore eventually realed them in because their man in the break couldn't ride his bike and cartwheeled off the road. After the catch, it turned into a strung out war zone on roubaix style roads blasted by paleolithic crosswinds, terrorized by the strongmen ripping the cord of elastic and tearing the field apart. I was caught out a good distance behind with gaps opening up every 5th rider but managed to stay in the top 30. It settled through the feed zone and I survived the last lap to finish with the sprinters, but no kick left in my wasted legs.....top 20 overall....I'm content but not satisfied.. I want to be the one stretching the elastic....I want to severe it with my pegoretti.

No comments:

Post a Comment